• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

After Administrator and Moderator discussions we have come to a decision that the ShoutBox will be taken offline within the next few days.

Because of complaints, reports, misuse, PM messages and it being used for egos to be bolstered, we have agreed that this isn't within the spirit of FME or indeed Fruit Emu in particular.

We have a 'Chat' facility room... this is open anytime and any member or guest is welcome and will be welcome to use it.

Warnings were given about the use of the ShoutBox in the past, but they were not heeded - suffice to say we have received enough reports, complaints and moderation of it to know that now is the time for it to be removed and this will not be negotiated because requests for it to be respected and used as a ShoutBox should - ie quick messaging - were ignored.

Thanks

Daryl
All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#2 gemini17

gemini17

GOLD Supporter

• Regulars
  • 1751 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

Not at all surprised.

Sometimes I scroll down the shout box and it's almost like a soap opera!! :err:

Jay

#3 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

@gemini lol i know what you mean,I thought it was because of maybe money problems again etc,thanks for the heads up daryl.

#4 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

@gemini lol i know what you mean,I thought it was because of maybe money problems again etc,thanks for the heads up daryl.

The SB is standard tom, as Daryl said there's been a fair few that are using it as stated.

#5 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

hmm

#6 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

Anybody tried the 'Chat Room' in the last month or so ?

This message appears

"The IP.Chat room limit has been reached. You will not be able to join the chat room until some users first leave."

Nobody is indicated as using the 'Chat Room'

It was mentioned at the time by a member on SB, but nothing has changed in the meantime.

Edited by ricardo de ponsa, 14 September 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#7 mocochoco

mocochoco

• Regulars
  • 1380 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Anybody tried the 'Chat Room' in the last month or so ?

This message appears

The IP.Chat room limit has been reached. You will not be able to join the chat room until some users first leave.

Nobody is indicated as using the 'Chat Room'

Yep, I have been getting exactly the same message.

"The cue tip is the most important thing, give me a broomstick with a good tip on it and il shoot the lights out, then sweep the joint when im done" (Willie Mosconi)

#8 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

It will be looked into within the next few days :)

...it might be due to the fact that we are on a virtual server - duplu will know more :)
All The Best

Daryl

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#9 jim2311

jim2311

Genius

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

I agree that the Shoutbox does get a little out of hand at times, but whats to stop the same thing happening in the Chat Room.

Would it not be better to warn those whose behavior (shouts) are deemed unsuitable, and if they do not heed the warning deny them access to the Shout Box

#10 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Soapbox soon closing would have been a better header. ;)

#11 convict

convict

• New Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

That message is a standard error message when the IP.Chat users limit is reached. The free version from IPB (Invision Power) standard edition which comes free with every IPB license is 5 users. In order to up the limit you are required to buy the IP.Chat license. They range from $10 (every 6 months, 20 users) upto $40 (every 6 months, 250 users).

Just thought i'd give my knowledge on the subject.

#12 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

The Chat box has always been unmoderated to a great extent, and you get a notification (when it is working) about the conduct what will occur in the Chat Room before you enter it...

...I think that is more than adequate for those of us with some sense of decorum to know what to expect.

Warnings, suspensions from SB and other reminders have indeed been mentioned throughout the past few months, in fact years, but this has either been unheeded or deliberately ignored - plus the fact the ShoutBox is publicly seen, and therefore anyone wishing to even consider joining could take just one look at it sometimes and think to themselves:

'why bother'!

Chat is secure, unrestricted and away from public view - let's see if it used as it should've been, like the SB wasn't meant to be :)

That message is a standard error message when the IP.Chat users limit is reached. The free version from IPB (Invision Power) standard edition which comes free with every IPB license is 5 users. In order to up the limit you are required to buy the IP.Chat license. They range from $10 (every 6 months, 20 users) upto $40 (every 6 months, 250 users).

Just thought i'd give my knowledge on the subject.

...well that should be fine, as the SB is generally only ever used by a few regulars at a given time, and hardly ever have I seen more than that many people in SB conversing :)

All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#13 altharic

altharic

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Why not add a link to stanmarsh14s irc?

#14 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

I use the shoutbox for friendly conversation as that's what I thought this site was like "friendly" although it has been heated on various occasions by certain individuals including myself, taking away such a feature is hardly going to benefit the site as in new members staying and eventually donating or contributing its only going to mean more topic's on how does this run, can't see buttons etc so blocking up the site even more. You say you've given warnings in the past does that include ALL members regardless of status. Using the chat room WILL not stop this behaviour so chopping the shoutbox is pointless in my eyes people will just use PM's more to speak to individuals or leave the site.
Don't start having a go at me for this post its only my views on this subject.
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#15 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

Don't start having a go at me for this post its only my views on this subject.

Your views are noted... and I'm not having a 'GO' - but:

I use the shoutbox for friendly conversation as that's what I thought this site was like "friendly" although it has been heated on various occasions by certain individuals including myself, 

You really think what has been happening in the SB these past few months has been 'friendly'? I really do think our views on FME differ there

You say you've given warnings in the past does that include ALL members regardless of status. 

Why should all members be given warnings... especially as a vast majority do not use it.

Using the chat room WILL not stop this behaviour so chopping the shoutbox is pointless in my eyes people will just use PM's more to speak to individuals or leave the site.

don't they anyway?

Anyway 'Geddy' mode off (sorry mate ;)) - the demise of the ShoutBox has inevitably come because it hasn't been used as it was meant to be, and hasn't been for well over a year now.

If, as has always been the case, new members come here to ask for help, as an FME community we will give it. New members have to be approved for a number of posts anyway, so this can easily be moderated more by the staff than having to scroll and moderate the ShoutBox too - and because it has received reports, complaints and abuse and simply cannot be moderated ALL the time, it is inevitable that this conclusion has been reached.

The Chat has a warning before entering it about behaviour and its' moderation - so this feature, which has always been on here, is the solution for those wanting to converse, but are aware that they enter on their own discretion.

All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#16 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

Ok that's fine, I'll have a go at this chat room thingy later see how it all goes thanks for the info.

#17 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

I always hate it when facilities are removed, but if it is deemed necessary then so be it. Chat and the SB are different and I am not sure I will use chat. Shout is different, it is just there in view when you are logged into F-E. I'll miss it.

bj

#18 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

can,t use chatroom as it don,t work doh!!!!!!

#19 Dougsta

Dougsta

Stampede!

• Silver Supporters
  • 806 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

I rarely use the Shoutbox, and I agree that the use of it has often been inappropriate. Though the worst-offending member was banned some time ago.

The trouble is that I think it's become part of the site's identity now. It's there when the site loads, you can see who's around etc. There are a few members who use it a lot, and I don't grudge them that.

Without it, the site is going to feel even quieter than it already does. If it was boom time for FME then I'd see no problem in removing it. Removing a piece of the site when FME is struggling seems like a strange decision.

It's management's decision of course, but I hope all effects both positive and negative were considered.

#20 altharic

altharic

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Why not set the site to load sb to be closed by default so you have to manually open it then have the disclaimer in the site news part?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users