14 replies to this topic

#1 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Just looked at my online banking & £10 payment to shopperdisc that i have not authorised.

Had a google about them & loads of people are complaining, apparently when i have bought something online, theres been a box saying save £10 off your next purchase & if you tick it you get scammed BEWARE!.

I have not contacted my bank yet as only just seen it & its shut now & this £10 is ment to be a monthly fee, not happy man.

#2 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Just looked at my online banking & £10 payment to shopperdisc that i have not authorised.

Had a google about them & loads of people are complaining, apparently when i have bought something online, theres been a box saying save £10 off your next purchase & if you tick it you get scammed BEWARE!.

I have not contacted my bank yet as only just seen it & its shut now & this £10 is ment to be a monthly fee, not happy man.

... but that's a pretty obvious scam. Argos e.t.c. do the same, something called Shopper Discounts club or similar. I thought they made it fairly clear that you were paying a monthly subscription on a recurring card payment (good luck cancelling one of those!). Hope you get it sorted out though!

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#3 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Funny you say that as i bought a washing machine online from argos about 3 months ago & it said i could have £15 off my next purchase if i fill form out, still not a happy man i have not authorised any transactions.

#4 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Funny you say that as i bought a washing machine online from argos about 3 months ago & it said i could have £15 off my next purchase if i fill form out, still not a happy man i have not authorised any transactions.

... but you must have done. Does someone else have access to the card that might have used it online and accidentally signed up?

Don't get me wrong, it is a form of scam (in that you'd be better off just using HUKD / Quidco / TCB / vouchercodes.co.uk for bargains and there's no subscriptions) but at some point someone must have ticked a box, and I'm sure that box would have said 'I understand and have read the terms and conditions'. They simply can't authorise a card without consent.

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#5 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Says all over the internet its a scam if you do a google, lots of people not happy.

#6 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Says all over the internet its a scam if you do a google, lots of people not happy.

.... there's a lot of stupid people on the internet, otherwise scammers would give up. Like I said, it's an immoral service, they are selling something you can get for free elsewhere, but you have to authorise them.

To prove a point, I just made a fake reservation at Argos purely to get the 'Shoppers Discounts' page to appear. Here it is. Pay attention to the bits I have highlighted in RED.

Like I said above, it tells you throughout the page that you will be charged £10 per month, and also asks for credit card details. People on the internet claim that they've never seen this page - fact is, they have. They just don't want to admit that they didn't read the T&Cs.

I dislike the company as much as anyone - I make plenty of use of TopCashBack (saved about £300 this past year), Quidco (saved about £400 this past year), HotUKDeals (have bought way too much crap this year!) and vouchercodes.co.uk (have eaten way too many Prezzo meals this year!).

It just winds me up a bit when people protest innocence in these cases when the facts are there - at some point, you or someone else with access to the card will have seen a form like the one below, and said 'here's my card details, now give me my voucher'. That's how it works.

Note that if you have only just seen the charge appear, then chances are the details were given at least 30 days ago, due to the free 30 day period.

I do hope that you get the money back OK, but I don't expect them to offer great customer service as they are pretty much just a cash / commission generating computer for the companies they are affiliated with (Argos in this instance), I doubt they have more than one person manning a phone!

Attached Files

Edited by Bencrest, 22 January 2013 - 06:21 PM.

Ben

#7 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Read this and I agree with Ben richy.....

I know you are annoyed (I would be too), but it's not a scam as such...just a case of reading the small print and you get nothing for nowt.

Have to be honest I don't usually read the T&C's on things.......I usually just tick the accept to allow me to go to the next step.

The like of https://www.creditex...rsionID=620= use the self same 'tactics'.......either let them know you want to teminate or you get a fee on month Two. (thats a site plucked up.....there are Thousands).

#8 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Indeed - the clue was when they asked for credit/debit card details simply to get a discount voucher which is the general impression.

Having said that the size of the text there is a LOT smaller than the text about the discount. That's not (yet) illegal but I believe Which? are looking into this sort of thing as the form is potentially misleading due to its emphasis on the discount and not the cost / implications of going ahead with it.

#9 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 257 posts

Donator

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Yea at best they are questionable these 'schemes'

I'll never forget getting stung by RealPlayer when I was 18 and got my first credit card.  I signed up to some 30 day free trial they had going and naively thought that uninstalling the software would cancel my subscription.  Nooooo...

It was 3 months before I noticed I was getting billed.  Then it took me another 3 months to get around to cancelling it (you had to ring the States).  Then the icing on the cake was that it turned out that you had to give 60 days notice to cancel!!!  So bam another 2 payments on top!!  Over £100 for something I never used or even wanted!  I've never been more pissed at myself.

Sooo the moral is be very very wary of any 'free trial' that wants your card details!!!

• ady likes this

#10 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I have now phoned them they have took 3 payments of £10, getting a refund in the next 10 days, membership canceled.

As far as i was aware i was dealing with argos offering me £15 off my next order.

Edited by richy1976, 23 January 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#11 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I have now phoned them they have took 3 payments of £10, getting a refund in the next 10 days, membership canceled.

As far as i was aware i was dealing with argos offering me £15 off my next order.

To be fair I think my dad fell for the same (or a similar scheme) through Zavvi or similar. Fact is, people just don't check T&Cs on things like this. I'm such a pessimistic person that I never believe anything until I've read every last detail of it! :)

Ben

#12 skavillekrew

skavillekrew

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

Sadly it's not a scam as everyone seems to think & say, In November last year I purdchased some goods from Toy's R Us I remember being offered a discount on my next order and went through with it and like most people didn't read any of the agreement to be honest this is where the scam is it's based on the fact that 99% of us do not read the agreement part to anything even here when you sign up there's an agreement how many of us read it and for all we know it stated here's my home it's now yours lol.

It's based on this that we will not read it or the small print, I only picked up on it today when checking my account shopperdisc.co.uk £10.00 also followed their phone number which is 08007319935 at first I googled saw all the bad things so phoned at first I was irate like most of us would be but on talking to the person they pointed out where it had happened and that there is a process when signing up this is the bit we all skim to get to the deal, I made it clear that it was obviously done in mistake through not reading through properly he pointed out that it was not a scam and that if it was a scam that they would have a premium phone number as many people would obviously be calling in to cancel it and here they would make a fortune which I guess is pretty true he also pointed out that as I had not logged in to the site he would refund all my money which would take 10 day's and to call back if it had not gone in I recieved 2 emails to validate termination and of thr refund, so it's safe to say it's not a scam it's down to us for not reading the agreement or small print we love our deals so really it's our own fault.

heres the number again just be patient and they'll help you 0800 731 9935.

Goodluck & Read the agreements like me i doubt we will.

#13 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Got my money back off them a while ago £30 :)

#14 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Speaking of discounts, if you've got a smartphone, car and an amex card it's worth checking this offer out - £15 off fuel if you spend £50 at Shell garages (other discounts also apply with other credit cards and in other locations).

https://sync.americanexpress.co.uk

You can only claim it once but it's a pretty decent deal...

#15 carlosgee

carlosgee

• Regulars
  • 1005 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

easy to cancel, as you paid by card, call bank say you lost the card and they will send you new one, thus the original payments cannot be made

http://www.wwe.com/w...enov08/8662404/ 8th pic on the first row...me perving with me cam on maria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users