• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

It has been noticed, especially by me over the past few weeks, that some behaviour on the Shoutbox is not in keeping with the spirit and friendliness of Fruit Emu - especially last night (17 November).

Please be aware that the Shoutbox can be removed from the site - it is there as a friendly chat service to help members and guests through FME and to keep in touch with each other in a friendly manner - not for abuse to other members.

Use the Shoutbox as you would expect to be spoken to in general - please don't abuse members on Fruit Emu - or the Shoutbox could be put in jeopardy. :)
All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#2 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Soap box not shout box mate ;) agreed to much swearing nd hand bag throwing in there,maybe avoid it when the :beer: is flowing :D

#3 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

i argee with you, to much swearing is not good the odd" f" is ok in general, but if it weren't for the few that use the shoutbox for friendly chat then know one would go on it. it,s there to have a laugh on but yes it does get out of hand sometimes aswell as the topics in general like i can see the cardie topic going that way with brownbag,s input not helping. what this site and others like it needs is more members joining in but we've been there time n time again 10,000+members and only 10 at most using shoutbox at any one time thats less than 0.1%... so come on guys use it or lose it!!!
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#4 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Like I have said vectra... the Shoutbox isn't a necessity mate, and I rarely use it because I don't like to - I would sooner post in threads... each member to their own. I think there are a lot of members, like me, who don't like to use the Shoutbox either - as long as members participate in the main part of the forums - the Shoutbox is just a service to compliment the Frotnpage of Fruit Emu.

Members don't have to use the Shoutbox at all - it is there actually for help and advice from fellow members for FME problems in general, more than anything and a quick 'hello' - it isn't a vital part of the forums and doesn't have to be used by the members at all.

As I say, we can moderate posts and threads in the main forums, and we can to an extent on Shoutbox, but that means constant moderation and I am sure that I, and other admins and mods aren't prepared to do that - so that is why the Shoutbox can be removed if persistent abuse continues in there.

As I have also said, I will support the Shoutbox, but only to the extent where it is treated by members with the respect they deserve and would like to receive back. :)
All The Best

Daryl

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#5 jackpotjon05

jackpotjon05

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Here Here guys.

Doesn't need to be said twice, but like you say it's a shame certain members are abusing it when the pints are flowing.

Sorry guys but you know who you are, shame 1 or 2 are spoling the shoutbox for others.

After all this is a Fruit-Emu site, not a playground for kids to have their little tiffs and score points with each other, for others to see.

Have some respect and use this site for what it's really for yeah?

#6 Dougsta

Dougsta

Stampede!

• Silver Supporters
  • 806 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I agree with Daryl. The shoutbox was never designed as some sort of online chat room. I don't mind people using it as such, but hurling abuse over it is pathetic.

It's the same 1 or 2 obsessive people every time.

#7 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

It has been noticed, especially by me over the past few weeks, that some behaviour on the Shoutbox is not in keeping with the spirit and friendliness of Fruit Emu - especially last night (17 November).

Please be aware that the Shoutbox can be removed from the site - it is there as a friendly chat service to help members and guests through FME and to keep in touch with each other in a friendly manner - not for abuse to other members.

Use the Shoutbox as you would expect to be spoken to in general - please don't abuse members on Fruit Emu - or the Shoutbox could be put in jeopardy. :)

I agree Daryl , lets keep FE the way it has always been , (bar the odd fall out here n there) friendly and banterishness ? (such a word)

The ones that continually argue , abuse and pick arguments over nothing really may have the ability to post in the SB removed.
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#8 impact

impact

Error 9.4

• Regulars
  • 1280 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Aye aye Daryl agreed with you on that and other members and mods replys
.._-=It`s not a problem only a challenge =-_..

#9 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

I like the idea of the shoutbox, but it seems to me that half the time someone posts a question, and I post a reply, they vanish. They probably expect an instant reply, and when they don't get it, they just vanish. Then again, it does save the forum from being cluttered up with a million 'YOUR MACHINES ARE TOO BIG FOR MY SCREEN YOU IDIOTS' type threads :D
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#10 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

... and Ben, as you know, that is exactly what the Shoutbox is for. It is there for helping members, visitors to the site and a quick hello.

But as I know you must be aware, you can so much easily remove posts, threads etc that repeat or are one-offs from one-time posters - the Shoutbox is much more harder to moderate on a 24/7 basis. The admin and mods have their commands to use (thanks Ady mate) - but if you aren't there at the time that any abuse, arguing or general disquiet is happening, apart from removing and clearing the whole Shoutbox cache, it can get tedious.

I do get you though mate with the one-off shouts - they do annoy you - especially when you have tried to help and they vanish off the face of the Earth! ;)
All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#11 policematrix

policematrix

• Regulars
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

so is it gone now ? i never see it anymore and cant find it ="(

hand-drawn-animated-gifs-dain-fagerholm-

#12 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

so is it gone now ? i never see it anymore and cant find it ="(

http://www.fruit-emu...orums/shoutbox/

It is at the bottom of the main Forums index page now PM - removed from Front Page because one of the reasons is mentioned in this thread!
All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#13 I have finished

I have finished

I will never finish in FME here!

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

I do agree with most of you, but I mostly will be using threads because they are more accessible for me to read and my speech software can read them much more easily than the shoutbox. I can also find out what the most important topics are by going to a heading quickly, pressing down arrow, and finding out for example how many replies my thread has got and how many people have viewed it. What I would like, however, is to be able to find out who viewed a particular thread. Keystroke notes if anyone can help: click means pres enter, moving the mouse will be simply using the arrow keys until my speech says something. Thanks for your help, Thomas.

#14 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Can't help you with the speech software mate... I've only just conquered learning how to use the mouse and trackpad properly! ;)
All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#15 I have finished

I have finished

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for your help Daryl. Not many people are experienced with speech software really. I think that all sighted people should at least have some training on how to use it. I must say, this is the first time I have used an online forum like this, and the software works a treat when posting in threads. I thought I'd try it when Killcrazy did his first thread on the Epoch Emulator plus the first 2 videos.

#16 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

It might be something that I made need to use in the future, obviously because of my conditions.

My Mac computer, using the latest OS X - Mountain Lion - has Speech Recognition in it, but with background noise within my environment, i find it hard to use, and feel really embarrassed talking to myself (there will be plenty of time for that in the future ;))

Windows to be honest with voice recognition, and good old 'Microsoft Sam' was a joke and wouldn't know what software to use to implement it, especially if costs are involved! :)
All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#17 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for your help Daryl. Not many people are experienced with speech software really. I think that all sighted people should at least have some training on how to use it. I must say, this is the first time I have used an online forum like this, and the software works a treat when posting in threads. I thought I'd try it when Killcrazy did his first thread on the Epoch Emulator plus the first 2 videos.

First I would like to say having spoken to you on this site, there was no way I realised how you are communicating to the rest of us on here!! You do credit to partially sighted folk M8.

I have programmed speech synthesis on switchboards for partially sighted people and the voices tended to sound like butch american/canadians.LOL.

Nowadays programmes are a lot more advanced than those of the 8 bit era.

Barclays Bank used tactile displays on their IBM switch. It involved pins like braille coming through the desk to give information. Interestingly this proved quicker than sighted operators!!!

An interesting and complex subject Speech Synthesis and I agree sighted people should have some training on its use.

#18 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

It might be something that I made need to use in the future, obviously because of my conditions.

My Mac computer, using the latest OS X - Mountain Lion - has Speech Recognition in it, but with background noise within my environment, i find it hard to use, and feel really embarrassed talking to myself (there will be plenty of time for that in the future ;))

Windows to be honest with voice recognition, and good old 'Microsoft Sam' was a joke and wouldn't know what software to use to implement it, especially if costs are involved! :)

I just setup a new PC for my mother-in-law using Nuance Naturally Speaking. Got to say, it does a remarkably good job of all the automation tasks, dictation etc.

I added a Jabra Headset to help with background noise reduction and she's now all set. Doesn't need the mouse and keyboard at all.

#19 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

I just setup a new PC for my mother-in-law using Nuance Naturally Speaking. Got to say, it does a remarkably good job of all the automation tasks, dictation etc.

I added a Jabra Headset to help with background noise reduction and she's now all set. Doesn't need the mouse and keyboard at all.

Cheers Magz... I'll look into that thanks :)

All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#20 I have finished

I have finished

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hi Daryl, just wanted to let you know, OSX Mountain Lion or any OSX does also have Voice Over which reads out anything on screen in a really natural voice that even takes a breath between sentences and commas! To activate, press Command+F5If you don't have an iPhone, get the iPhone 5, it has speech recognition called Siri. It gets to know your accent, no training is needed. I may be blind and not need it, but it's great for sending texts when I'm on my own, and of course you have the Bluetooth headsets with mics for blocking out loud noise! There's no need for a touch screen for those who can't use it, but there will always be Siri thanks to good old Steve Jobs and the Apple team making life for everyone much easier!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users