Mfme Source Code

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ridley322

ridley322

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

Anyone working on new tech???? been stale for years. Nothing exciting coming out? fancy a game on aliens

Sourcecode found here http://agemame.mamew...tatics/mfme.php

Its old i know!

#2 bobbyfme

bobbyfme

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

Uh, wow!

How did the source become available? Is it a legit release from the MFME programmers?

Is building upon it endorsed by the MFME people?

#3 bobbyfme

bobbyfme

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

I expect the Borland tools and required components are way too old to get a hold of legally.

Anyone managed to build a binary and willing to share the build tools etc?

#4 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

Uh, wow!

How did the source become available? Is it a legit release from the MFME programmers?

Is building upon it endorsed by the MFME people?

I expect the Borland tools and required components are way too old to get a hold of legally.

Anyone managed to build a binary and willing to share the build tools etc?

May I suggest you register over @Mecca and read this thread. It'll get you up to speed quicker than I post I could write.

http://www.fruitemu....__1#entry111588

So - yes it is there legitimately, and begrudgingly, by the MFME people, or Wizard as he is known round these parts.

You could use it to build what the hell you wanted, as long as if you release a binary you also release the associated source code. I would however suggest that if you wanted to get involved in codingsome new techs that you register @DADsFME and get talking to the members Haze or El Condor, and assist with the development of FME in MAME.

As to Borland compiler tools; why would you want them. We have the version 2.0 binary and the 2.1 binary was released with the source code.

bj

#5 ridley322

ridley322

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

I found it doing a google search, looks like it was used when MAME added mpu4. I think it was posted in the forums years ago.
As far as I know! its usless by itself unless you backward engineer any new tech not already written into the code.

#6 bobbyfme

bobbyfme

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

May I suggest you register over @Mecca and read this thread. It'll get you up to speed quicker than I post I could write.

http://www.fruitemu....__1#entry111588

So - yes it is there legitimately, and begrudgingly, by the MFME people, or Wizard as he is known round these parts.

You could use it to build what the hell you wanted, as long as if you release a binary you also release the associated source code. I would however suggest that if you wanted to get involved in codingsome new techs that you register @DADsFME and get talking to the members Haze or El Condor, and assist with the development of FME in MAME.

As to Borland compiler tools; why would you want them. We have the version 2.0 binary and the 2.1 binary was released with the source code.

bj

Wow! I read it all. Thanks!

I was interested in compiling it as is, using it as an educational tool, and I would also be able to make some changes and recompile etc.

I'm a decent programmer but I wouldn't have a clue where to start with emulating new techs. I realise that it is a huge undertaking and requires more than just programming skills. I'm tempted to port the MFME source to a modern compiler for the education it would provide but obviously without any of the GUI functionality as that would be a waste of time.

I had a thought about the future:

It's obvious that it will take many thousands of man hours for an open source emulator framework (such as MAME) to include the completed techs, layout tools, and layouts possible using the MFME source. Wizard could be called upon once that work is completed. The open source emulator framework programmers will have decent knowledge and understanding so new techs should be relatively easy but when it is troublesome they will have Wizard to call upon to save the day. I don't know Wizard but from a programmers perspective I expect he would willingly share knowledge although perhaps not currently due to all the politics that is going on.

I'm also thinking there needs to be public organisation and availability of the resources (schematics, flyers, roms, etc) otherwise how are randoms supposed to get involved?

#7 RUKI2909

RUKI2909

• Regulars
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:03 PM

Wow! I read it all. Thanks!

I was interested in compiling it as is, using it as an educational tool, and I would also be able to make some changes and recompile etc.

I'm a decent programmer but I wouldn't have a clue where to start with emulating new techs. I realise that it is a huge undertaking and requires more than just programming skills. I'm tempted to port the MFME source to a modern compiler for the education it would provide but obviously without any of the GUI functionality as that would be a waste of time.

I had a thought about the future:

It's obvious that it will take many thousands of man hours for an open source emulator framework (such as MAME) to include the completed techs, layout tools, and layouts possible using the MFME source. Wizard could be called upon once that work is completed. The open source emulator framework programmers will have decent knowledge and understanding so new techs should be relatively easy but when it is troublesome they will have Wizard to call upon to save the day. I don't know Wizard but from a programmers perspective I expect he would willingly share knowledge although perhaps not currently due to all the politics that is going on.

I'm also thinking there needs to be public organisation and availability of the resources (schematics, flyers, roms, etc) otherwise how are randoms supposed to get involved?

WTF
Posted Image

#8 ridley322

ridley322

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:04 AM

I never understood why these emulators didnt follow like VPmame/VisualPinball? relased every year with added tables unlocked for play

#9 ridley322

ridley322

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:11 AM

in regards to the leaked mfme, we all wanted to play them mpu5 so bad we downloaded that emu with out a care in the world, even if it meant we wouldnt see another update ever again. There has to be a line drawn, as much as i would like to see all the latest machines.

And if my memory serves me well, those who didnt choose to release current tech said it would harm the industry. Well BooHoo who cares about the House winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users