• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

Evening all,

Some of you may remember me from ages ago, I've been around since 1996 ish (the days of the Fruit Machine Mailing List, oh the good old days). I used to work for Mazooma and Games Media then setup my own business doing games for export, which is good fun.

Basically, I've got a shed load (literally) of old Maygay cabinet AWP base machines which I could do with getting shot of. I don't want to stick them in a crusher.

So, here's the idea: Folks on here get a team of people together, form a committee, thrash out a design for a game which my team and I will then develop (probably good to have a meet up beforehand!).

We will put your names on the artwork and in the attract mode display.

We will then get a quantity of machines built to the same specifications and quality as frontline AWP machines, which will be sold at a sensible price (circa £500) and will under no circumstaces be available for commercial use. It will however be to the same standard as an AWP and so have all the same settings as you'd expect on a normal machine, including note acceptor support, etc.

It would require the prior agreement and commitment (that means payment!) to a small number of machines (minimum 10, but the more the cheaper it'll be, economies of scale etc...).

So, that's the idea, if it's rubbish or has some potential, let me know and save the machines from the crusher (they're all base machines with no glass, hence no value on ebay etc).

Cheers

#2 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:20 PM

This sounds a great idea....I'm not one who can program for the life of me but I have literally tons of designs for AWPs that would be good.
Are these games just going to be using older boards to do a clone or would this be programming a totally new concept?
From simple games such as Crystal Winner, to Hi tech amusement machines such as Strobelight/High Voltage, to SWP machines such as Rainman, I have designed plenty of things that havent't seen the light outside my desk lol......One of my ambitions would be to design a proper fruit machine that provides a fair game, that can be found in pubs to this day.

#3 Sparkz

Sparkz

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

great idea there, definately would work,

i think an idea would be maybe to try and get a machine sorted that resembles a classic in some way, i.e low £5 jp, but 80% payout, since it wont be commercial thats what people want for the home, something where you can play for an hour or so on a few quid

#4 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

I may be missing somthing but do u work for a company or is this a project thats going to be tried by a company ? I personally dont think they would allow names in attract mode.

Brillant idea though if it is do able.

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

Quit Gambling as of 3rd of March 2012

#5 roderz

roderz

<--+-->

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:01 AM

Maygay base? you talking epoch (bloody hope not!) or M1 - hard to get
or other tech?

#6 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:39 PM

Nowt wrong with Epoch! Good bit of hardware unless you have to service it....

But subject to cost it could be on other hardware, probably Pluto 5 which is bomb proof but can't be emulated for reasons I won't go into here.

The game would be a totally new concept as there's no point copying something else. Get your thinking caps on, but I'd keep your discussions off a public forum (invite only) so that others don't see what you're saying.

Cardie: I own my own AWP development business so I answer only to myself :-)

If anyone has any creative uses for cabinets let me know....I'm open to ideas...

Cheers

#7 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

I' decided to make some blank templates up for a Barcrest genesis cab, so I could design machines for the fun of it lol, if you want I can give my computer design skills a whirla nd come up with a design that's probably bare bones cosmetic-wise but shows how everything works etc, or if you preferred I could try and do a proper arworked thing lol, which will probably be bad but that's another story haha
I have already made a sorta design of a machine if you want me to attach a computer pic or something like that with explanation of how it works let me know

#8 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:59 PM

Nowt wrong with Epoch! Good bit of hardware unless you have to service it....

But subject to cost it could be on other hardware, probably Pluto 5 which is bomb proof but can't be emulated for reasons I won't go into here.

The game would be a totally new concept as there's no point copying something else. Get your thinking caps on, but I'd keep your discussions off a public forum (invite only) so that others don't see what you're saying.

Cardie: I own my own AWP development business so I answer only to myself :-)

If anyone has any creative uses for cabinets let me know....I'm open to ideas...

Cheers

Could you write the software to run on MPU5 as i had one done before and wondering if you would be cheaper ?

I mean just to write the ROMS i did all the game design etc.
Follow us on facebook http://www.facebook....131728946893342
www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#9 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

No, we can only write on platforms we are licenced for, and this has to be a volume build in order to keep the costs down.

#10 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

With the costs............
How much would be needed from us to help with the development? Because I don't have access to much money whatsoever at the moment or in the future. I start Uni next year so cash will be very limited. If you still want a design or something just ask tho

#11 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

Could you write the software to run on MPU5 as i had one done before and wondering if you would be cheaper ?

I mean just to write the ROMS i did all the game design etc.

how about some software to run epoch ;)

#12 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

I'll only do this if I can guarantee sales of machines, a bare minimum of 10 units but 25 would be needed to make it more sensible for everyone (as I said before, economies of scale etc). That gives a problem of getting the requisite number of people to commit.

Discuss!

#13 launton

launton

• Regulars
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:29 PM

I'm pretty new here, but this offer does interest me in a lot of respects. Most people (myself included) are jaded as far as the new machines are concerned, I mean can't we have a fruity that at least spins the reels for one revolution before stopping! Anyway... as I have no talents for the creation process my interest is whether the funding of these machines is open to forum members who don't have the technical expertise? I could certainly stump up some money towards the project if I got a unique machine with some surprising features rather than the scripted clones that are everywhere. Of course I am of a certain age and am bound to be a little sentimental about the old machines. However, that may not be possible concerning the hardware involved?

Would we be allowed to follow the progress/discussions including ideas on gameplay and the graphical design of said machines? Of course I'd have to at least see what I might be getting for my money.

Are you proposing a paypal fund with minimum deposit of £500 per person, then when it reaches 10 deposits production can begin?

Finally would the £500 'buy' a machine for the person or is this just for production/manufacturing costs. Forgive me if this is obvious but I'd just like to clarify that for myself.

I think this is a great idea by the way

Thanks

#14 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:36 AM

Hi Launton

Yes absolutely, I'd like to essentially give the responsibility for design and gameplay to a committee on here, albeit with my "expert" guidance on what can and can't be done and to give a few general guidelines on game design best practise.

The machines would be available to all who put their name and money forward.

I want to keep the costs sensible otherwise there's no point doing it, and so the cost of the machine will be the only cost you pay, the price of which I will determine when I've done a full bill of materials (which means you have to decide how many reels, LEDs, etc you want beforehand as it all costs!). We will put our development costs and overheads into the final unit price.

We will even go to the point of having artwork created before anyone actually has to hand over any cash. Our graphic artist is ex-Ace (old skool Ace,that is!) and a few other firms, and has done a lot of the classic artworks so all being well it'll look pretty good :-)

#15 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

I've got a couple ideas for lotechs now. Where shall I put them to share with you all?

#16 roderz

roderz

<--+-->

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

Our graphic artist is ex-Ace (old skool Ace,that is!)

Ooo I wonder who that is? Say hello from me ;-)

BTW you based around Oxford by any chance?

#17 phattbloke

phattbloke

• Regulars
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

Ooo I wonder who that is? Say hello from me ;-)

BTW you based around Oxford by any chance?

Are you based around Telford by any chance ;)

#18 roderz

roderz

<--+-->

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

Are you based around Telford by any chance ;)

Mmmmm.

Ok who's this?
Dave............W ?

#19 edwardb

edwardb

• Regulars
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

Mmmmm.

Ok who's this?
Dave............W ?

Its the biggest muppet that ever lived. Who else would it be??

#20 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

Its the biggest muppet that ever lived. Who else would it be??

Fuzzy Bear?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users