35 replies to this topic

#1 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

So basically is is a bag of $&%# like Vista or is it any good?

#2 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:47 AM

went from vista ultimate to 7

i found it that bad i ended up going all the way back to Xp Pro (:

edit: i'd lke to add that most of the apps i use are designed for xp/vista and i had a few issues with them

Edited by Matty.N, 15 October 2009 - 12:02 PM.

#3 djmat56

djmat56

• Regulars
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:00 PM

Love Windows 7 Ultimate. So much more responsive than Vista. Installs very quickly too. No going back for me.

#4 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

Windows 7 is basically what Vista was going to be. It seems to be more of a PR stunt as the name Vista equates with awful to so many.

It is better than Vista, more rsponsive for a start and also has a proper XP emulation / compatibility mode. It will also accept Vista and XP drivers for devices and it seems to do this quite well.

DONT dual boot with XP as it kills the XP install, or at least it did for me. But as a single O/S I would take over Vista every time.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#5 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

Yep..as already said installs in about 15-20 mins max so much more responsive and faster specially on x64 and far better driver database than pishta and XP (although i love XP also) nice GUI and layout.

Still finding my way about it although been using it for about 3-4 months wont ever go back to XP.
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#6 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

When I briefly tried Vista on my PC it took about 15 mins to boot due to the 8 HDDs. Is this a Win7 issue as well?

#7 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

When I briefly tried Vista on my PC it took about 15 mins to boot due to the 8 HDDs. Is this a Win7 issue as well?

Dunno how it would be with 8 HD's..

I have 2 HD's a 150gb and a 250gb both SATA and from me pushing the power on button to it being ready to use is about 45secs-1min ? approx if thats any help.

#8 Steveir

Steveir

• Regulars
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

I installed it last night and been messing around with it from work. Apart from running around the houses with Symantec Endpoint, its been fine. My laptop runs much quicker than on Vista and I'm liking how the programs work on the taskbar. Can't run XP mode yet as my bios doesn't support it (fingers crossed HP fix that)

If you're on Vista go for it

#9 Bandits

Bandits

• Regulars
  • 1124 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

So basically is is a bag of $&%# like Vista or is it any good?

I kinda asked myself the same question so i googled alot about windows 7 and read dozens of forums on this very topic and listening to everday users and I.T experts mostly all were saying really good things about windows 7.

My Pc Custom Built By Myself

Windows XP Professional.
Motherboard A-bit IP35 Pro XE
Processor Intel Duo Core 3.33Ghz
Memory OCZ DDR2 800mhz (4GB)
Graphics Nividia Geforce BFG 8800GTX 768MB
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster SB X-Fi (THX Certified)
Hard Drives 2x Seagate (Sata 2) 500gb, 1 x Seaagate (Sata 2) 400gb
Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 Speakers - 210watt Sub Woofer, 70 Watts x6 Satelite Speakers (THX Certified)
PSU Seasonic 700w
Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor (1920 x 1200) Resolution.

Yes i know there is alittle room for improvement but pc hardware technology moves very fast and kinda almost outta date after 6 months.

I have run windows vista on my desktop pc for long time with no problems at all i think people who have branded pc computer and try to install and run vista have driver and compatability problems and issues but if you have up to date hardware usually there is little or no problems.

vista is a big & bloated operating system and that was one of it's problems, I have ordered and awaiting windows 7 professional version which i got for only £99.99 instead of £249 as microsoft gave everyone who beta tested windows 7 a huge discount.

I know the pc case i am using is big but i like big plenty of air circulation better for cooling and my graphic's card is huge some people have to cut out their HDD bays just to fit the graphics card in.

looking foward to release date 22nd october! but with postal strikes guess i will recieve late :arghh:

Attached Files

#10 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

vista is a big & bloated operating system and that was one of it's problems, I have ordered and awaiting windows 7 professional version which i got for only £99.99 instead of £249 as microsoft gave everyone who beta tested windows 7 a huge discount.

IMO they should have given it away free after the amount of fk ups they made with Pishta.

#11 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:17 PM

Steady on Bandits this is not Fruit Forums.... :D

#12 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:49 PM

pmsl

only after being a member on there can i fully understand that joke

#13 djmat56

djmat56

• Regulars
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

Windows 7 is basically what Vista was going to be. It seems to be more of a PR stunt as the name Vista equates with awful to so many.

It is better than Vista, more rsponsive for a start and also has a proper XP emulation / compatibility mode. It will also accept Vista and XP drivers for devices and it seems to do this quite well.

DONT dual boot with XP as it kills the XP install, or at least it did for me. But as a single O/S I would take over Vista every time.

Got mine on Dual boot with XP and has never given me problems. Went on without a hiccup.

#14 Bandits

Bandits

• Regulars
  • 1124 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:05 PM

:huh: Having never been a member there i don't get that one :err::lol:

#15 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:20 PM

:huh: Having never been a member there i don't get that one :err::lol:

fruit forums

also known as pc forums

just take a look at the threads/sigs

will make sense :)

#16 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:46 AM

hmmm

i hate vista with a passion and found windows 7 as a bridge between the 2. the extras can be tuned off and a classic windows xp environment set to make it act and feel like xp pro.

its far more compatable than vista ever was and there is still room for improvement.

gets my thumbs up

#17 >_>

>_>

Shifty

• New Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:44 PM

went from vista ultimate to 7

i found it that bad i ended up going all the way back to Xp Pro (:

edit: i'd lke to add that most of the apps i use are designed for xp/vista and i had a few issues with them

You must have done something wrong.

I have been using Vista since 2005, and 7 since November last year. I have never had ANY problems that were not my fault. The only problem i can recall is when i fell off my bike with my thinkpad. It cased a BSOD. But, if that was some other laptop it would have not survived. I still get amused when people say how crap Vista is. Its just people spreading FUD around.

7 flys on all of my pcs, even my 7 year old pentium 3.

#18 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:55 PM

I still get amused when people say how crap Vista is.

Dont think it was 'crap' per-se (well it was and wasnt) .. it was a good idea and a fairly good operating system.

Comes down to personal prefrence and i wouldnt go within a million miles of it.

There were just so many people having problems with it at the start..driver issues/incompatible software/hardware..etc etc..i know Microshite kinda got thier act together in the end with it and anyone using it now wont or shouldnt have any issues with it at all.

I think in the end it was a rushed job and Microshite threw it out to the public far too soon..and i think even they would admit that if pressed.

#19 flipside

flipside

fruity loopy

• New Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

windows 7 is fantastic been beta tester etc and its great , now have a oem (rtm) 7 ulimate , if anyone wants it . why wait till the 22nd:D

#20 piesthecat

piesthecat

Creator'N'Stuff

• Regulars
  • 1047 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

My Pc Custom Built By Myself

Windows XP Professional.
Motherboard A-bit IP35 Pro XE
Processor Intel Duo Core 3.33Ghz
Memory OCZ DDR2 800mhz (4GB)
Graphics Nividia Geforce BFG 8800GTX 768MB
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster SB X-Fi (THX Certified)
Hard Drives 2x Seagate (Sata 2) 500gb, 1 x Seaagate (Sata 2) 400gb
Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 Speakers - 210watt Sub Woofer, 70 Watts x6 Satelite Speakers (THX Certified)
PSU Seasonic 700w
Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor (1920 x 1200) Resolution.

Wow a hokey cokey 2000 :jiggy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users