• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

Hi,

Quicksilver Games have over 200 venues all over the country (arcade directory) with classic and modern arcade games. Are you suggesting there is more demand for classic slot machines?

Very much so.

For me one of the biggest mistakes the industry has made is thinking that increasing the stakes and jackpots will attract more players and increase takings. This is absolutely not the case as far as I'm concerned - all this is doing today is alienating players further due to a dire lack of value for money and leaving the industry to prey the few unfortunate addicts that remain. Hence you have arcades up and down the British Isles going skint and being sold, and the ones that remain are often empty, save for a few 'lifers' huddled round a B3. The other machines are simply warming the place up - nobody wants Category C any more, no matter how much the rules are bent in order to pay big lumps. I've often said that even having a Category C at all is a waste of time for as long as B3's are allowed in arcades, which economically is a bit of a shame because the operator can have as many Cat C games as they like, yet the players don't want them. They've gone up a level and are hopelessly addicted.

What the industry should be doing is reducing jackpot and stake values and bringing entertainment back, therefore reattracting the lapsed players of years gone by. If you think back to 15 years ago every arcade in the country was packed on weekends with people knowing that they were going to spend money, but at least get a good game and pass a few hours in doing so.

Ten years back I used to wonder whether I would ever be able to stop playing fruit machines due to the fact that they were so entertaining and exciting. But these days I don't want to go into an AGC and put £20 through a Red Gaming machine just to see board, or £40 in an Electrocoin Bar X 7 to see a win, or even go near a B3 despite the attractive jackpot. Yes I may win decent money on the odd occasion but to be honest sometimes I'm not interested in how much money I could win - I'm simply buying time. Now the thought of playing the machines of today gives me no excitement whatsoever - so I haven't had to cut down my playing time - the machines have done that for me.

That's why an arcade full of classic machines appeals to me and many others. It's a combination of nostalgia, fun and entertainment, safe in the knowledge that your money is going to last a reasonable amount of time.
Watch out! There's a SIG thief about...

#42 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

I know what you are saying, I played extensively from the late 80's to late 90's. Machines where very playable and it was possible to keep playing and keep a decent float throughout the summer months.

Nowadays Jackpot and Stakes are way to high to attract regular punters, there is simply no playability left, all the excitement has been slowly drained away from the AWP. Arcades where absolutely packed out in the early 90's with a massive selection of different types of really playable fruit machines.

JJ

#43 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

Hi,

Quicksilver Games have over 200 venues all over the country (arcade directory) with classic and modern arcade games. Are you suggesting there is more demand for classic slot machines?

Welcome to FME land.

I have to say that I am absolutely shocked you aren't aware of this. Have you not noticed your customer base going down the toilet.

Take Cheltenham. Quicksilver is now where the Showboat arcade used to be. This was a large arcade with bingo at the back too and dozens of machines.

Now the bingo area has disappeared behind a false wall and is no longer part of the arcade and the number of machines, and players, have substantially reduced. Back in the 80's you could barely find a free machine to play on; now they have to offer you free drinks in the hope of tempting the few players to stay a bit longer.

I believe the reason is, as SteveDude rightly says, that the Amusement part of AWP is no longer there.

'tis a shame.

Thank you for posting.

bj

#44 SUPER7

SUPER7

Shouldn't Fruit Machines Payout Fruit??

• Regulars
  • 642 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:48 PM

Have got 2 also say every thing stevedude said is right on!! The best arcade days 4 me was the 90s, like the days when i could go down there with as little as a fiver & it would last me hours but now days u can put £5 in a £5jp party time in a blink & most of the time u will not even get a win, u might get nudges if your lucky, lol. Have also seen the arcades in my area get more & more empty by the day there is only 1 arcade which takes good custom in my area & that is the 1 with all the classic token & low cash jp's i.e £3-£4. But they like every 1 else have got the evil B3's which take the A out of AWP, it should be MWP ' Muggers With Prizes ' what more can i say!! :oh::oh:

#45 hurricane

hurricane

• Regulars
  • 734 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

But they like every 1 else have got the evil B3's which take the A out of AWP, it should be MWP ' Muggers With Prizes ' what more can i say!! :oh::oh:

MWP 'Muggers Without Prizes' !!:biglaugh:

#46 SUPER7

SUPER7

• Regulars
  • 642 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:11 PM

MWP 'Muggers Without Prizes' !!:biglaugh:

Also true!! :lol:

#47 fruitmachineemu

fruitmachineemu

ITS GOLDEN GAME TIME

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:44 PM

Do not go in any quicksilver arcades rigged £200 in a £5 bullion bars thats deffo rigged i barred my self from wifeagate in hull for 6 months for doing that

#48 SUPER7

SUPER7

• Regulars
  • 642 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:27 PM

Do not go in any quicksilver arcades rigged £200 in a £5 bullion bars thats deffo rigged i barred my self from wifeagate in hull for 6 months for doing that

£200 in a £5 Bullion Bars!! Have seen £250 in a £5 circus 3 player ( Big Top )

#49 treasure island

treasure island

• Regulars
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:54 PM

I agree with everyones comments...Stevedude you echoed exactly what i have been saying for ages.

I got rid of my AGC over a year ago, didnt even sell it, just closed it. I couldnt sell it even if i had bothered to try, its a dead industry now.

The reasons are simple in my opinion:
70% payouts
B3's (previously s16)
Manufacturers making their programmes BLOCKED for anything that gives the punter the slightest edge
Increased stake and prize
Loss of MAYGAY group and JPM withdrawing from the AWP market (they are dabbling again but very poor attempt)
Deal or no deal x 1,000,000!

Bell fruit should be shot.

I personally loved the token days,

All my stuff will be 80% or higher, and as original program as possible.

As for the Quicksilver chap, i have nothing against your establishments, but your machines are just normal run of the mill video reels....lose or win big QUICK with no gameplay!

Agora, Riva gaming....all the same.

;)

#50 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:21 PM

Original as possible hmm.....................? How about a nice "Original as possible" GRAB THE BANK :twitcy: ;) I wonder if that is still illegal even today.

I really hope this arcade stays open as long as it can...The main AGCs will make their money from the "lifers" as said before. The people that do not care about what they put their money in, they are there to gamble, caught in a vicious cycle of losing and trying to win it all back...I guess this market is why the AWP industry has slacked from the good old days
Which is why we're here!
Most of us have quit because the industry is so bad. This site is mainly used for restoring these machines and replicating them on our PC, so we can all play the machines which made gambling that bit of fun we all enjoyed, even if we did make a loss.
However this might not be the same as playing them for real again.......
Mr Island here is doing the people here proud with his work and his business, where the times were best*. Making the days gone by* no longer a thing of the past. The enjoyment of walking round with a pocket full of tokens*, getting a game for your money^, the strategy, the edge for the more cunning gambler with enough to keep regular Joe happy.^

I wish him all the best and will definitely come down to play the classics
And next time we hear of an arcade making money in Gravesend, let's hear that the gamblers have been having some FUN!

* Seeing as I didn't gamble in these "times were best", I have no idea how good it was, but it will be nice to find out:) I also haven't had the pleasure of winning tokens.

^Following on from above note, my "game for money" lies in these machines from 2000, as I havent experienced in reality the fun on these classics...But I have noticed it's gone downhill even since 2000.

FFS I go on when I want to dont I!:huh:

This is a site for EMULATION purposes of older machines. Not playing strategies.
If you are more interested in playing modern machines,
visit Jackpottyforums

(DOND is around now on this site..... How long was this sig out of date...!)

#51 voodoomau5

voodoomau5

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

please, your living in a fantasy land if you think that the amusement industry would be busier and better off with the old classics in every arcade......

:lol:

yeah your pocket might be that slightest bit heavier but the amusement industry's truck loads would be hell of a lot lighter....

"i hate deal or no deal, it took 20 quid off me blah blah blah"
"i hate party time, i didn't get a top from a tenner":wideeyed:shocking..!

yes and you would know that because you have played it time and time again, if a dond big reds could take more off you in half an hour that what an old classic could take off you in a month then of course the amusement industry are gonna choose the big reds because they are making f*****g shitloads out of you...!

to most of you the amusement industry might have "died" but in their eyes they are the most alive they've ever been and it's you, the people that moan about every sodding deal or no deal they've been on keeping the industry alive and kicking.

*expects to hear something about how bad dond is within the next 3 posts*

#52 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:50 PM

DOND is bad. There, said it.

Some interesting points...Let's have a debate. With a few people. Not a lot, or that would be a Mass.
Anyway, I wouldn't see much difference in the industry. The industry soldiering on through these difficult times because of the lifers as mentioned before. The people that hate DOND or get angry at a PT might not like that machine again and not play it. Or they might play it because they can't help it and are addicts.
So there are few people, but the industry can make a months work off a couple hours with them.
But if more classic machines were released...it might spur more people to play and have a good time. Many people in this post have talked about coming down and enjoying a good play of these machines. So if the profit margin is less, then there should be more players and casual gamblers about rather than the 2 extremes we have...which are put a tenner in, get angry and stop...And the Can't help it but shove notes through thick and fast.

This is a site for EMULATION purposes of older machines. Not playing strategies.
visit Jackpottyforums

#53 voodoomau5

voodoomau5

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:59 PM

DOND is bad. There, said it.

Some interesting points...Let's have a debate. With a few people. Not a lot, or that would be a Mass.
Anyway, I wouldn't see much difference in the industry. The industry soldiering on through these difficult times because of the lifers as mentioned before. The people that hate DOND or get angry at a PT might not like that machine again and not play it. Or they might play it because they can't help it and are addicts.
So there are few people, but the industry can make a months work off a couple hours with them.
But if more classic machines were released...it might spur more people to play and have a good time. Many people in this post have talked about coming down and enjoying a good play of these machines. So if the profit margin is less, then there should be more players and casual gamblers about rather than the 2 extremes we have...which are put a tenner in, get angry and stop...And the Can't help it but shove notes through thick and fast.

bollocks, half the people that play machines these days wouldn't touch an old machine...oooooo you won a friggging huge £3 yay :jiggy::jiggy::nah:

#54 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:06 AM

bollocks, half the people that play machines these days wouldn't touch an old machine...oooooo you won a friggging huge £3 yay :jiggy::jiggy::nah:

I've already said DOND is bad for my introduction so now I'll say..

Watch Banzai.
"Wouldn't touch" is too strong a word to say...Lets face it we both grew up after these days so we don't know the half of it probably! Mind you, machines back then did have some big streaks when they wanted to. But at least they kept everyone else entertained by not being flat and annoying.
And half the people that played machines these days wouldn't play machines, think of it the other way "Half the people that played these old machines wouldn't touch a new moneygrabber." It'll switch the tables if anything. Theres every chance that these players would end up playing a classic if it stared them in the face that long.
And dont forget back in the day, £3 could buy you a pint, a fish n chip supper, a spare wheel for your car, a car to go with it, a garage to park it in, and a house to put the garage on to:rolleyes::lol:

visit Jackpottyforums

#55 voodoomau5

voodoomau5

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:09 AM

I've already said DOND is bad for my introduction so now I'll say..

Watch Banzai.
"Wouldn't touch" is too strong a word to say...Lets face it we both grew up after these days so we don't know the half of it probably! Mind you, machines back then did have some big streaks when they wanted to. But at least they kept everyone else entertained by not being flat and annoying.
And half the people that played machines these days wouldn't play machines, think of it the other way "Half the people that played these old machines wouldn't touch a new moneygrabber." It'll switch the tables if anything. Theres every chance that these players would end up playing a classic if it stared them in the face that long.
And dont forget back in the day, £3 could buy you a pint, a fish n chip supper, a spare wheel for your car, a car to go with it, a garage to park it in, and a house to put the garage on to:rolleyes::lol:

but we are now post-victorian ages are we not ? ;) where £3 will become about 3p after tax n all

#56 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:19 AM

but we are now post-victorian ages are we not ? ;) where £3 will become about 3p after tax n all

Young whippersnapper you will get forty lashes from the strap for that comment carried out by Lucifer chief strapper! Oh wait you are right, we are in post victorian times.;)
So the £3 will be less than back in the day, but that should mean more fun for everyone else perhaps at less cost than before.
Liek I said a big £70 jackpot machine snatching one persons money in half an hour could be the same as a number of people putting various money through a number of £6 machines. The turnover could be predicted as the same amount.
Mind you, it does sound a bit like you are talking about a total annhialation(sp) of current machines and total replacement with older ones on original programs. Suppose the arcade goes half n half on terms of machines...Turnover for the industry would increase, as it would take care of gamblers like you and the people who liked the classic days. Face it, there are enough machines in arcades that no one likes. These gone and replaced with classics* would be beneficial or at least no big loss to the arcade and market.

*Converted Andy Capps etc don't count. They're also as bad as DOND and not as good as Banzai.

visit Jackpottyforums

#57 voodoomau5

voodoomau5

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:21 AM

okay okay for every crazy fruits, replace it with a line up or summin...i dunno :lol:

#58 ziggy

ziggy

• Regulars
  • 662 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:22 AM

Gotta remember as well that not everybody plays fruit machines for the same reasons.
Some are quite content to go into an arcade , just purely from entertainment purposes and sure if possible to come out " up ".Other want to win and are well equiped with piles of notes/bank cards/coins ect to see the pot at the end of the rainbow.

Sooo, why not have a choice for the punters ?? Classics and up to date Bellfruit dross all under one roof.

Or do what Dave's done and open a classic only.I know what i'd prefer.

#59 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

please, your living in a fantasy land if you think that the amusement industry would be busier and better off with the old classics in every arcade......

:lol:

yeah your pocket might be that slightest bit heavier but the amusement industry's truck loads would be hell of a lot lighter....

"i hate deal or no deal, it took 20 quid off me blah blah blah"
"i hate party time, i didn't get a top from a tenner":wideeyed:shocking..!

yes and you would know that because you have played it time and time again, if a dond big reds could take more off you in half an hour that what an old classic could take off you in a month then of course the amusement industry are gonna choose the big reds because they are making f*****g shitloads out of you...!

to most of you the amusement industry might have "died" but in their eyes they are the most alive they've ever been and it's you, the people that moan about every sodding deal or no deal they've been on keeping the industry alive and kicking.

*expects to hear something about how bad dond is within the next 3 posts*

Have you ever heard of the expression - 'You can shear a sheep many times, but skin them only once'?
Watch out! There's a SIG thief about...

#60 magpie

magpie

• New Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:02 PM

took me a second to work that one out stevedude, but i like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users