48 replies to this topic

#1 dtrmad2004

dtrmad2004

Total

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1485 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:40 PM

What are everyones thought of this horrible bit of kit?

Think its just come out in the US and I've had a read up about it.

As usual Apple leans towards style and not functionality.

So far its not got........

Autofocus on the camera.

Led flash.

You can't select songs as ringtones.

Games.

IM support.

Video recording.

MMS.

Plus a few more things, Its only got a 2megapixel camera which other phones have had for years.

Avoid!

Andy
<a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://profile.mygam...trmad2004'></a>Posted Image</a><br /><br />Don't gamble with the Recession!

#2 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:44 PM

Expected to be every expensive more so than a top end PDA plus its Apple so unless you got a Mac Windows support will be flakier than those poor f***ers out of invasion of the body snatchers from the 80s.

#3 nafanny29

nafanny29

• New Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

Absolute POS.

This phone is for all the idiots who think I-tunes is the best program ever and who love paying Apple £10 for an album.

Granted it does look nice but its already a year+ out of date mobile phone wise.

#4 mrgspot

mrgspot

Fancy It Ladies, Oh Yeah

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

typical f*****g comments from windows users, who have never even owned a mac.

this phone looks very stylish, has good potential and will be a winner.

i suppose of course you have all had one delivered, tested it to the maximum and played with all features, before the f***er is even released in the us.

of course anything from mac, these days will start you pc boys of on a old handbag session.
Posted Image

---------------------------------------------------

"Yippee Ki Ya Kimasabi"..

#5 mrgspot

mrgspot

Fancy It Ladies, Oh Yeah

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:48 PM

Absolute POS.

This phone is for all the idiots who think I-tunes is the best program ever and who love paying Apple £10 for an album.

Granted it does look nice but its already a year+ out of date mobile phone wise.

£7.50 actually, get your facts right
Posted Image

#6 Dr DX

Dr DX

Daddy To A Little Angel

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:11 PM

I'm a Windows user but I have used Mac in the past, yes the Mac is way better for graphic design purposes and in my opinion the Mac OS is a way better operating system than window would ever be, the only reason I am staying with windows is because the parts are cheaper, more games out for windows, yes I do like the Iphone and I am considering buying it when it comes out over here. So what about the 2mp camera, thats what my current phone has (LG Shine) and its great for taking photos.

Dr
Women are #@#@#@#s....

#7 mrgspot

mrgspot

Fancy It Ladies, Oh Yeah

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:27 PM

I'm a Windows user but I have used Mac in the past, yes the Mac is way better for graphic design purposes and in my opinion the Mac OS is a way better operating system than window would ever be, the only reason I am staying with windows is because the parts are cheaper, more games out for windows, yes I do like the Iphone and I am considering buying it when it comes out over here. So what about the 2mp camera, thats what my current phone has (LG Shine) and its great for taking photos.

Dr

totally agree, the mac is very powerful for graphic design and some of the software is awesome. games are not really a major issue to me as I have a 360 and psp. but if i do want to play, i just boot up in windows on my mac and get on with it. only as a last resort mind.
Posted Image

#8 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:40 PM

i suppose of course you have all had one delivered, tested it to the maximum and played with all features, before the f***er is even released in the us.

of course anything from mac, these days will start you pc boys of on a old handbag session.

For a start you are a mac fanboy seemingly unable to see past your own arse its a phone take the name apple off it and pretty much its old technology with a modern interface, the price expected in the uk is £600 do you honestly think hand on heart its worth paying that amount out for when you could get a modern phone with more features with less lies said about what the phone can and cannot do and enough for a holiday left?

Then again seeing other threads seems most at FE have shit mobiles anyway so its unlikely you will listen anyway.

#9 Jamesbond_007838

Jamesbond_007838

Option Explicit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:40 PM

totally agree, the mac is very powerful for graphic design and some of the software is awesome. games are not really a major issue to me as I have a 360 and psp. but if i do want to play, i just boot up in windows on my mac and get on with it. only as a last resort mind.

Yeah all that native Windows software that's been ported to Mac is great isn't it..........

Name one feature that the iPhone has that makes it worth buying compared with a top of the range Windows Mobile PDA ? (which will be cheaper).

The iPod is the most over hyped piece of electronics ever, an average at best MP3 player backed by some amazingly bloated software - lovely.

£7.50 to download an album? Supermarkets are selling them for £7 at the moment if you choose to buy music legally.

#10 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:11 PM

Got to say I loved macs, and used to have one. For graphics and DTP they were fantastic.. Now they haven't got that much over, but they are still pretty good..

That does not affect the fact that every other piece of kit Apple produce "IS" style without any benefit of substance.. Worth buying for the same reasons as buying a Genuine Swatch over a similar cheaper watch with the same features..

I personally don't think the price for Apple is worth paying, and have the expectation (especially after looking at the specifications) that this will be out of date quicker than you can open your wallet..

Apple should stick to computers.......
J<br /><br /><br /><br />A man

#11 £6 In Tokens

£6 In Tokens

AKA £9 In Vouchers

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

Personally don't like Apple never will.

As for buying music legally - That was a joke right.

:devil:

#12 VampUK

VampUK

Grumpy sod!

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1829 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:51 PM

My mac was great,long dirty brown one it was. I could whip it open at super fast speeds whenever a tasty young sheep was going by. Nowt like waving the old pork chop at a tasty bit of mutton.

Posted Image

#13 dtrmad2004

dtrmad2004

Total

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1485 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:28 PM

Fanboyism aside (although that was never the point of this thread)

If you want a featureless phone then fine but ill stick to my w800i thanks.

You probably could say that they would update the phones firmware so it gains these features, not for led flash and the autofocus :)

BTW I use the Led flash as a torch on my phone alot and it proves useful many times over.

@DX Theres nothing wrong with a 2 MPIX cam my w800i has one, my point is when you release a phone with the same spec cam as one thats been out for years IE: the k750i its a bit behind with the times. Especially with no flash.

Andy
<a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://profile.mygam...trmad2004'></a>Posted Image</a><br /><br />Don't gamble with the Recession!

#14 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:04 PM

I personally don't think the price for Apple is worth paying, and have the expectation (especially after looking at the specifications) that this will be out of date quicker than you can open your wallet.

It is out of date already given its expected price its been quoted as £600 even if this was matched to the dollar (£300) its still not worth it for a phone of that spec for £600 I'd expect it to suck my cock while I made a call.

@ Dtr the k750i just dropped in price as expected now £70 at o2 piece of pish to unlock and debrand and flash to a W800i. Probably cheaper if you shop about.

#15 dtrmad2004

dtrmad2004

Total

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1485 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

It is out of date already given its expected price its been quoted as £600 even if this was matched to the dollar (£300) its still not worth it for a phone of that spec for £600 I'd expect it to suck my cock while I made a call.

@ Dtr the k750i just dropped in price as expected now £70 at o2 piece of pish to unlock and debrand and flash to a W800i. Probably cheaper if you shop about.

I saw one in the paper today, even cheaper @ £66 ;)

Btw alth ever thought of offering an unlocking service ad in the paper? saw one today someone offering SE unlocking @ £20 a time :)

Andy

#16 mrmystery83

mrmystery83

Ho, Ho, Ho Merry Xmas!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

It might be a bit dear but i'll bet they'll sell a load. Saw the queues in the US. Some had been waiting days. I guess your paying for the name more than the actual phone. If you didn't wanna shell out full price for one maybe they'll be come available on contract? But it'll probably still work out dear. The operator who will get the I Phone hasn't been decided yet though.
Ey Up!

More vids to be added soon:
www.youtube.com/mrmystery83

"I don't care if the fans rip the shirt from my back. They put it there"

-Elvis

#17 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

Btw alth ever thought of offering an unlocking service ad in the paper? saw one today someone offering SE unlocking @ £20 a time :)
Andy

Same reason why an unemployed person should not charge £3 for a sim :) dole finds out (likely as FME is full of c***s) he's toast.

#18 mrgspot

mrgspot

Fancy It Ladies, Oh Yeah

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:04 AM

This phone has been fully cracked,

iphoneSimFree.com - Choose the provider you want - use any SIM card with your iphone - in any country

Got mine on route from a UK supplier ready to go on orange, My mates arrived earlier than me and i was playing with it last night connected to Virgin Mobile. What a piece of technology!!! get your hands on one of these and then start slating it.

Yeah its not got 3G, but who f*****g cares, it is an absolute masterpiece.

Anyone who wants one, they are swarmed all over ebay at the mo. Ensure you purchase a fully unlocked version.

G
Posted Image

#19 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:28 AM

Well, I've just had a read up on some of the features of it, reviews, e.t.c, and it sounds good, but theres so many small issues with it's interface...

One thing that does sell it to me is the apparently huge battery life you get when playing videos - 9 hours has been reported on EnGadget.

BUT - it's not a user replaceable battery! I can accept that on an iPod, but a phone? Still, if theres a way of opening the unit with a razor blade and popping a new battery in thats probably not too bad.

Pricewise I don't think it'll be the £600 that Alth quoted. The USA version is currently $399 for 8GB, so I think at the most it'll be £399 for the same unit over here. HOPEFULLY cheaper.

If theres one good thing, it's that hopefully this will lead to a set of copycat phone designs, from the likes of Nokia, Sony Ericsson, which will add their own twist. To be honest though I think I'd be happier with a folding smartphone with actual keyboard inside.

Also, something which has been mentioned and which seems to be a right pain in the arse, is that the 3.5mm headphone / mic combo jack on the iPhone is inaccessible to many sets of headphones, because it has a recessed socket with lots of plastic built up around it. You may need an adaptor, or to drill out more plastic, to make your non-standard headphones fit!

So for me the Pros would be :

Nice sharp screen, glass coated. Good in most light conditions. Good quality video playback through glass screen, and excellent video battery life.

The Cons would be :

Non removable battery (without risking warranty). 'Gesture' based interface. Annoying character entry. The fact that I drop my phones quite frequently and I can't see it standing up to my kind of punishment. The 'nick-a-bility factor of Apple kit.

Oh that reminds me. Quick Q for you 'mrgspot' - is it like my W810i where you have a lead with a mic on, and your headphones plug into this lead - or where the headphones and mic are in moulded, unseperable cable?

The reason I ask is because I use my phone as an mp3 player, and because my PX100s are plugged into the mic lead, I can answer and make calls through my headphones using the original mic on the cable. If you have to remove the microphone from the iPhone to use non-standard headphones, then I won't touch it.
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#20 Jimmy_mac

Jimmy_mac

Court Jester

• Regulars
  • 1649 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:31 PM

quick word of note on this one, seems that many are buying this cos of its amazing mp3/video playback ability in a lovely design with multi touch, the fact that its a phone too seems to be just a die advantage.

Don't forget iPod are about to launch the iPod Touch here in the UK for the end of the month which will basically do all the mp3/video playback features but for a fair amount less.

Of course if you want all in one then fair enough but if you dont mind having the phone seperate then the iPod touch might be a better option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users