• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

The new version, Ubuntu 14.04 ( possibly named Twatty Ratty - well they do pick the most stupid of names for their releases ;) ) has been specially designed for touch tablets and computers/laptops.

They've totally re-engined it to use much less ram and CPU processes and the App Store has been upgraded with quicker download/install times and some newer apps for touch experience.

I'm going to make a partition on my Acer PC for it (30GB is plenty for my usage of it) and give it a go.
It is a bind because it puts it's Boot installer on your computer, but it gives you the option then to boot into Windows if you so wish.

Anyone use the Linux system, either as their main PC choice (I know stanmarsh uses it) or as a supplementary operating system?

There are that many 'flavours' of Linux though that it can become overwhelming to choose from, but I have found with the Debian-based Ubuntu Linux OS, that you can easily boot between Linux and Windows with their Grub Bootloader.

Give it a go if you have room on your PC, except of course you have built-in recovery on your computer and you haven't made back-up disks - it wouldn't be wise to then! ;)

Here's the link: ---> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

=======================================================

speed

#2 adb

adb

• New Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

I have a couple of servers running it for game usage & it's great, albeit the lack of a gui for it is a bit of a pain but the performance gains are well worth it.

Worth adding that the LTS refers to Long Term Suport, and it will be fully supported for the next 5 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users