#1 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:35 AM

Well the day has finally come,

Win XP no longer supported by Microsoft.... Very sad day indeed.

Was one of my favourite OS, but that's cuz im just a stick in the mud  lol

Anyone with me in this sadness?

Follow us on facebook http://www.facebook....131728946893342
www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#2 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:08 AM

I totally agree with you there Steve.

#3 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

Yes, XP at home and NT in the office were my staples for over 10 years. The pain is even greater as my office versions no longer work on Windows 8, so had to with the ribbon versions.

RIP Windows XP

More fall out, have to go out and buy new PC with my mum tonite. that'll be £600 worth, because the modern o/s will not run on her 11 year old machine - it is a bit slow too.......

#4 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

Well mine are now 'Zombies' then because I have no intention of putting them to rest!

I have my Windows XP HE on the laptop on a partition and my Windows XP Pro on the PC... I have put on the antivirus that I get free from Virgin Media anyway, which is continuing to support Windows XP for at least another two years, and I use the Chrome web browser (never used IE8 except for updates anyway). I have extracted all the updates that were current on Windows XP on both computers and saved them to a disk as well, so if I ever do format and put it back on, I have the latest updates to the 'end day' available.

It is too good an operating system to completely write it off, and I have no intention of doing so whilst MFME and Microsoft train simulator run better on it than any of the newer Windows.
All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#5 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

Just doing updates now on my Windows XP on the laptop...

...so they haven't turned it off yet - maybe they've forgot! ;)

Attached File  image.jpg   122.96KB   1 downloads
All The Best

Daryl

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#6 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

I think the official cut off is later today Daryl so wishful thinking that  ;)

Follow us on facebook http://www.facebook....131728946893342
www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#7 corel

corel

• Regulars
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

you'll all be safe with XP don't worry as long as you don't click suspicious links in emails and don't visit dodgy websites and keep your anti virus switched on then your XP will last for years and hackers will still be kept at bay, greedy Mr Microsoft just hasn't mentioned that yet because if he did it might affect his sales of an updated OS.

Edited by corel, 08 April 2014 - 12:36 PM.

#8 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

Just doing updates now on my Windows XP on the laptop...

...so they haven't turned it off yet - maybe they've forgot! ;)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

You misunderstand, updates will still be available from Microsoft for Windows XP. Just no new ones will be created.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#9 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

You misunderstand, updates will still be available from Microsoft for Windows XP. Just no new ones will be created.

I'm with it now lol...

...well in that case then, they haven't done any of that for quite awhile now - I believe the Malicious Script for March this year was the last one I received anyway! :)

All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#10 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

5 of my computers are still running XP on a network. A solid O/S as you could find.  `Run Directory Opus instead of Windows explorer, firefox Aurora instead of I.E. Use other firewall and virus guards instead of M.S. So still get updates from them instead. The only problem will be new technology wanting drivers for XP.  Like when Win 95 sp1 needed upgrade for usb. There will be some clever person come up with a 3rd party fix I expect.

In the mean time I'm keeping the majority of my PC's on XP.

Mr Microshaft is trying to frighten us!!!!!

#11 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

It is sad to think that probably the best OS that Microsoft ( indeed any OS manufacturer, including Apple ;) ) ever made is coming to an end - but what baffles me even more is why on Earth Microsoft would want to bring an 'end life' to their most successful operating system to date!

Windows 7 has stood its ground, and I do quite like it too... but Windows XP - well it so 'fit' everything you wanted a computer to do - and then more!

As much as I now do love OS X from Apple, Windows XP will always have a place in my heart... and indeed my computers too! ;)
All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#12 gemini17

gemini17

GOLD Supporter

• Regulars
  • 1751 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

It is sad to think that probably the best OS that Microsoft ( indeed any OS manufacturer, including Apple ;) ) ever made is coming to an end - but what baffles me even more is why on Earth Microsoft would want to bring an 'end life' to their most successful operating system to date!

Windows 7 has stood its ground, and I do quite like it too... but Windows XP - well it so 'fit' everything you wanted a computer to do - and then more!

As much as I now do love OS X from Apple, Windows XP will always have a place in my heart... and indeed my computers too! ;)

Nice to see you on the emu Daryl-best wishes to you

Nice to see you on the emu Daryl-best wishes to you

I too have xp on my pc-been getting messages all week!!!

I'm keeping the tower just for me slots but will stop using the net on it soon-especially banking bits etc,just in case!!  :nah:

Too many of the modern windows are beyond security conscious,at least with xp you had much more freedom-I never had any problems either with any programme,well nothing major. Is very sad that the support will draw to a close.

R.I.P XP

Jay

Edited by gemini17, 08 April 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#13 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

To this day I still (or steal!!) think it's wrong that any company can be allowed to do this.

By 'this' I mean create something that can just expire/die without it being said what the date is as-to-and-when from the onset.

If I buy a tin of beans from Tesco's today I can clearly see that when the 17th of Jan '16 comes along it will be past it's BBF date..BBF mean's I can still use it safely...whereas it cost me a mere 47p.

An OS cost's along the lines of £90 but when I buy it I can not be assured of the 'shelf-life'..could be 10 years, or as I see it (in a 'never-going-to-happen case) 10 day's...then will it be safe?

I don't eat OS's nor do I intend to try...too many Bytes to consume it for the calorie intake ;) (cryptic joke)

I think that if you buy something then you should be able to use it safely for as long as you wish if there is no warning to it's shelf life from the onset, not have your ball's held to ransom at a later date to buy a whole new product.

If I had XP (an DO and LOVE it (XP) on my 2nd PC) i'd be a little less bothered if I could be offered an affordable 'upgrade'...say a nominal fee of £20'ish....after all I have already bought a legal licence, have I not?

I hate the fact that I need to totally alter something I am happy with and pay through the nose for security....Yes I appreciate the fact that the secure side of thing is not MS's fault but they do supply the software in the 1st place.

Microsoft, please think of US sometimes...........XP IS (or WAS) the best OS in my eye's....don't hold us to ransom so much.........Please!

#14 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

In Loving Memory...

Attached File  RIP Windows XP.png   115.49KB   1 downloads

...thought I would do it tribute with Windows XP Paint! ;)

• ady likes this
All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#15 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

I do have to LOL a bit at how melodramatic some people get over this - you've bought your license, you can keep using it for as long as you want to. Fact is though it is getting more and more out of date by the day, and Microsoft do not have to keep issuing updates for people who are unwilling to get with the times.

If anything I feel people should be grateful to Microsoft for letting them plod on with Windows XP for as long as they have done, and continuing to support it. I can tell you for a fact that most businesses would have stopped supporting something that is 3 generations old a hell of a long time ago (can you imagine Sony still giving updates and new software for a Playstation 2, because PS2 and Windows XP are the same age at the time of stopping support - 12 years!).

Edited by Bencrest, 08 April 2014 - 06:58 PM.

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#16 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

I do have to LOL a bit at how melodramatic some people get over this - you've bought your license, you can keep using it for as long as you want to. Fact is though it is getting more and more out of date by the day, and Microsoft do not have to keep issuing updates for people who are unwilling to get with the times.

If anything I feel people should be grateful to Microsoft for letting them plod on with Windows XP for as long as they have done, and continuing to support it. I can tell you for a fact that most businesses would have stopped supporting something that is 3 generations old a hell of a long time ago (can you imagine Sony still giving updates and new software for a Playstation 2, because PS2 and Windows XP are the same age at the time of stopping support - 12 years!).

Ah but Ben lad, most businesses are 'still' using Windows XP as well, hence the business server support has been extended until 2015!

Even businesses know a good thing when they've used it, and most of those businesses have 'moved' with the times.

Why fix or throw something that ain't broke?! ;)

All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#17 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

I can see both sides of the argument here.

I am still a fan of the Amiga, using it more out of nostalgia than anything these days. Whenever there was a Workbench or processor upgrade. most of the programes and 3rd party add ons stopped working. Amiga's response was basically tough!!!! Now no business was going to have a system like that, because it was not totally backward compatible. At the time the Amiga was miles ahead of the IBM PC.

THEN along came Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.1 with Dos 6, and all the following releases. Backwards compatible in software and hardware, this was something the industry wanted for a long time.

Yes XP has gone well past it's sell by date (much like myself). Nostalgic, yes I admit, used/still use and abuse it for so many different purposes. Sentimental, nah, given me too many headaches in the past.

What it was though ' Fit for purpose'. You could rely on it 99.9% to do what you wanted it to do. That's what anyone would want. In the latest release of MS O/S we have lost that for the sake of gadgets and gizmos.

This is where I do get sentimental, because I think for that reason, it is sad that 'hype' has overtaken 'practicality.

Edited by ricardo de ponsa, 08 April 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#18 saynowt

saynowt

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

xp pro was a great operating system I used to love it, but since I changed to windows 7 I've never looked back its so much better in my opinion,

#19 thegambler

thegambler

The Daddy

• Regulars
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

but can you play skillball bingo on the latest windows os.....

Windows xp is not dead, it's just playing "go" with Steve Jobs....

Which reminds me:

:)

#20 SourceLeisure

SourceLeisure

• Regulars
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Its All About Money & Greed, Microsoft Know Many Servers,Offices Ect Use Windows Xp & Properly Seen A Standstill Point In Sales Though Upgrades Since Xp Was One Of The Best & Stable Windows "My Opinion".

Its Basicly There Way Of Saying That £250 Pound Product You Purchased Years Ago Is Now Long Gone & Push Sales On To There Newer Versions & Include A New Hefty Price Tag When Funny Enough All Your Actually Buying Is A Product Key.

But Its All Money Im Sure We All Recall Windows Vista "The Questionare Windows" The Amount Of Times That Window Came Up Asking For Conformation :p 

Windows Has Gone To Garbage,Putting It Politely 

Vista Was An Absolute Mess
Windows Seven - I Could Live - Found This Almost To Be The New Facelift Of XP
Windows 8 - Honestly Thats Horrible - Admittance Its Faster But Its Interface Is Poor And Designed For Touch Screens & Its Compatibility Sucks 

Its Ether Windows Xp Or 7 Ultimate For Me :) - Honestly Though You Carnt Beat A mac For Power & Performance 

Edited by SourceLeisure, 18 April 2014 - 08:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users